Monday 31 October 2016

LGBT FLASH FICTION: HALLOWEEN SPECIAL! THE MOON'S A PUMPKIN ONE NIGHT A YEAR

The Moon's A Pumpkin One Night A Year by A J Damian.
"I wanna go trick or treating." I said.
Being a god of youth and the moon isn't all its cracked up to be, especially when you have different aspects. With or without a moon disc, was sceptre, ankh, crook and flail - I was all wrapped up like a darned mummy most of the time. As I had a day off and prefer the night, October the 31st sounded like the sort of fun I'd enjoy, and once I'd travelled to the States I could look as normal as the rest of the kids out in the streets, soaking up the bitter sting of Fall before winter had its chance to take hold.

"Well, you be careful around those humans, Khonsu." Mut reminded me. I'm nineteen-years-old dammit! And I'm out to have fun. Being a protector and healer has its downside. Like a doctor, or cop, you're always on the job. Bearing that in mind, I waved a casual goodbye to them, setting off for some well earned fun.
"Hey, Khon. Why is it I only see you once a year?"
Carl grinned, happy as always. We hug. I know I'm not his only lover, but what can I expect when I show up so rarely it makes my heart burst.
"It's not once. I showed up last Christmas too."
I felt him hug me closer like twice still wasn't enough.
"Nice look," he reminded me. I nodded before bounding with him through the streets. He had a Freddy mask, a green and red sweater he swore his mom hadn't knitted for him, pants and trademark glove. I had my werewolf mask, furry arms and legs poking out of torn jeans. Well, what was the "one who lives on hearts" supposed to wear? Together we pushed through the streets of New York spotting all the carved Jack O'Lanterns outside people's houses, their knife slit smiles greeted us wherever we went.
Carl knocked on the door, expectantly with his glove. "Trick or treat?" he said, showing them his cheeky smile.
"Treat," The guy laughed, holding out a mock cauldron full of candy. Picking out a couple of things, we went onto the next house, then the next. After a while we got plenty of sweet things that would take us ages to get through.
"How about we give them to the orphan home. They could do with some cheering up." That was Carl all over. A real nice guy. Whenever I had the time to spare I'd see him. For once, maybe twice a year meant most of my time got taken up with protecting men and driving away evil spirits.
"Yeah, why not. Don't wanna grow out of my pants yet." Running through the streets at this time felt liberating. The smell of fresh cooked burgers wafted from the fast food restaurant up the road. My dad often wondered why I never told Carl my true identity. I suppose he thought he was being funny. I mean who would believe a god from Egyptian myth would come to Earth in search of fun. Anyway, I watched Carl treat me like a normal kid. Being a god involved too many prayers, tributes and songs of honour.
"Come here, sexy. I haven't tasted those full lips of yours yet."
I ripped off my wolf man mask, just as he removed his Freddy one. Halloween always ended this way. We'd kiss in the moonlight.
"You gonna take me back to yours?" I asked as he pulled me along. I felt glad it didn't take me long to find a good friend on this planet. I could've spent centuries in search of someone who made me happy. When we get to his place, he couldn't stop kissing me, taking five minutes to get the key in the lock. Not bad for the "Maker of men's destinies." If only I knew my own.

2 comments:

  1. Nice story - just right for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of an Egyptian god being interested in Halloween is an original one - love the title.

    ReplyDelete